Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Falling.

Oh I thought I was good. I thought I was ahead of it all. I lorded it over my friends and got cocky. And now it’s biting me in the butt. I did my Christmas shopping early, oh yes. And I was very proud of myself. And we all know what pride comes before don’t we? Well, in my dictionary, it comes before “prideless” but now I am thinking that pride comes before you realize that all those presents still have to be wrapped, and they are all on the other side of the continent. Pride also comes right before the realization that you still have all that candy to make, oh and those brownies that your father, who has been ill and is frail and elderly (heh…yeah, he’s been ill but “frail”? that’s kind of an exaggeration), asked for specially. Pride also comes before packing a suitcase that will, inevitably, get lost in transit, and a plane flight that will be bumpy, crowded and either way too hot or ridiculously cold but either way, not comfortable. Pride will generally also come before that one last present that doesn’t seem to have shipped yet, and it always comes before you try on those sweaters that you haven’t worn since last year only to discover that they are a) too small b) too ratty or c) packed away somewhere that you couldn’t possibly get to before your flight…somewhere like…Guam.

I think the holiday stress is kicking in…how about you?

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Holidays? Huh?

Anonymous said...

I find eggnog helps a lot!

Anonymous said...

one day at a time...

Anonymous said...

Eggnog with brandy. Oh yeah...pride? what? I can't hear you...lalalalalalalala