Monday, January 14, 2008

Currently.

Ugh.

Just ugh.

I’ve been sick. I am still a little sick but a lot tired. It’s been one of those kinds of sick. It’s really only a cold. I don’t feel so awful. It’s not that bad, you’re just a big wimp . But then it goes on…and on. And I am now at the point where I almost don’t feel the need to lie down every ten minutes, which for some reason, I did feel, but never did. Which may explain why this particular bit of crud had decided to hang around so long.

Anyway, I’ve been sick. I am almost better. I will be better soon. Until then, I am taking a page from snarkydork:

What I am reading: I am trying to read more this year than I did last year and far more than I did the year before. And I am on my third book of the year, so that’s a step in the right direction. Right now it’s Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. It’s ok. It’s a Y.A. novel and in a lot of ways it reads like a Y.A. novel but there’s nothing wrong with that. I am 191 pages into a 498 page book and I don’t feel like throwing it away, so…I guess it’s ok. But at the same time, I am not yet thrilled. We’ll see.

I am also reading the Herbivore travel issue. If you’ve never seen Herbivore magazine, I think it’s worth taking a look even if you aren’t vegan, which I am not either. Somewhere in my internet travels I came across mentions of it and I got intriguied and tracked some copies down. It is a really nicely produced magazine. It’s pretty heavy on words, not so much the slick and shiny mag, so it reads more like a book. This issue in particular as it is square bound and chunky and, in fact, their first print issue in… a year, I think. They had gone all-digital and it looks like now they will do both digital and print. In general, I think they are a pretty well written mag. Not being a vegan, or even a vegetarian, I feel a little strange sometimes but even when I don’t agree with some of their political stands, I have to remember that I rarely agree with anyone’s political stands, so…you know…grain of salt and all. In the past they have featured musicians, artist and writers that I am very fond of (Jonathan Richman? Hell yeah!) so I keep coming back.

Next? Well, I am looking for some inspiration and when one needs inspiration, where does one go? Well, to Stephen Fry, of course! The Ode Less Traveled was given to me for my birthday and I’ve been saving it for that extra boost when I need it…looks like I need it now.

What I am watching: It has occurred to me that the writer’s strike is not hitting me all that hard. I like television and I watch a lot of television, but…eh. If it’s not on, I probably won’t turn it on. And I don’t really feel like I am missing anything there hasn’t been any “must see tv” for me since Buffy. That said, I am finally catching up on the stuff on my DVR. Now that the new season of Medium has begun, I am finally watching the last season. And Rick Steve’s travel show has been featuring the UK so I’ve been recording those when I can’t watch them “live.” There’s also a new Jamie Oliver series on Food Network and Masterpiece Theatre is running Jane Austen shows so I really don’t feel at all unentertained. Oh yeah, and there is always a book.

I did watch a few movies recently, but since I can’t remember what they were I’m going to assume that they weren’t that good. I read the shooting script for Juno and enjoyed it well enough and I am currently reading The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and enjoying that too. I figure I am more likely to read movies then see them so I am taking advantage of Fox and Miramax offering scripts online. By the way, I haven't seen The Namesake but I did read the book and it was very good. I am hoping the script lives up.

What’s next? Well, Stephen Fry again, of course! The box set of Jeeves and Wooster appeared under my Christmas tree and I am looking forward to breaking that in.


What I am listening to: Right now? Iron and Wine which is reminding me of Simon and Garfunkel. Generally? Well, a lot of Ella Fitzgerald. You can’t go wrong there. And along with some Stephen Fry under the tree, I found an awful lot of Patsy Cline, so I am thinking there will be a country-fried good time around here soon. You did know that it’s wasn’t God who made Honky Tonk Angels, didn’t you?

Actually, as much as I need inspiration, I need music. I’ve recently ordered some new (to me) stuff, including the Waterboys and the Doves, bands I know and like but have never listened to at length. I need to get that new Radiohead…what else do I need? Any suggestions? You can see that my musical tastes are fairly eclectic. What have you heard lately that you think I might like?

What I’m working on: Did I mention I’ve been sick? Did I mention that I need some inspiration? Well, as soon as these valentines are done, it’s back to work on my personal project…I hope. BUT, I did just by myself a little tiny graphics tablet thingy. The kind with a stylus? I don’t know how it will work for me, but I am curious to see what comes of it.

What I had for lunch: leftover chicken and dumplings and a Minneola. The chicken dumplings were actually better as leftovers than they were for dinner. But I really can’t figure out why.


What new blogs I’ve been reading: SemiCircular Vegan makes me laugh out loud. Russell Davies is ever entertaining and Downbeat is…well…downbeat.

So, what have you been up to?

Hmmm…this Iron and Wine is starting to remind of Crosby, Still and Nash now…

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Third book? Wow! Just wow! I can't seem to read anything lately. The film of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was gorgeous. I got the book for Xmas, but I'm having that reading problem.

I've still never listened to Iron and Wine. Will you still speak to me? And if you find some of that inspiration, let me in on the secret. I could use a little too!