Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Comparisons.

As a kind of experiment, I have been reading Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre side by side in small installments (via DailyLit). I don’t think I have ever finished either of these books before, or if I did, I don’t’ remember. I have seen, and enjoyed, several movies based on each book, so I do know the basic premise of the stories.

I think I started this project as…well, I am honestly not sure. I am trying to fill in the gaps on my “classics” reading lists. I like to read. I like to read in installments and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I also had a conversation with a friend about Wuthering Heights and a theory I had about it. So I guess I wanted to be able to defend that theory. I don’t honestly know if I can, so I won’t bother boring you with it yet. But what has really gotten my attention is how very different the two books are, and how one appeals to me as a novel, the other as a novelty.

I let you know how it plays out in the end. Until then, any bets on which one I am enjoying more?

1 comment:

sassypriscilla said...

Hmmm. I've read both and it is a wash for me - I can't stand Cathy and Jane is so meek it is annoying. Love the movies, though.

I say put them down and pick up some Jane Austen.