Monday, July 02, 2007

Fairy.

Oh that Danny Boyle. He knows just how to hit me where it hurts and make me love him for it. A movie that has ensured I WILL NEVER EVER DO DRUGS EVER I PROMISE MOMMY! One that made me love “zombies” (do I really need to tell you that they weren’t really zombies and thus much easier for me to love?) Oh, OH, a movie that has ensured that I will never again have roommates and will always get twitchy when I hear someone walking above me…and now this. Sunshine. Way to scare the bejeezus out of me Danny Boyle, make sure there is not enough oxygen before revealing that there is also a “monster in the closet” (not really, that’s not a spoiler, it’s kind of a metaphor…or is it simile? No, no, it’s a metaphor. Right?) Watch the trailer here if you have no idea what I am on about and then tell me everything is going to be all right and there is enough oxygen for us all. And that I probably shouldn’t see Sunshine if the trailer gets me this worked up.

Oh and speaking of annoying, how is this? Last week we finally replaced and old second hand bookshelf with a lovely new cabinet. It’s technically a “buffet”…well, no, it was called a “buffet” in the store but technically, it’s a liquor cabinet. And man do we have a lot of liquor! But it’s finally all nice and in place and we went to get rid of the old bookshelf but after muscling it down the stairs, we discovered that it would fit in my car, but not with the hatch shut. It was Sunday evening and I didn’t want to leave my car open overnight so we decided to leave the bookshelf by the dumpsters and if no one had whisked it away within a day or two, I would come home early one day and truck it over to Goodwill.

Secretly, I hoped that someone would come and take it. It was nice enough and we do have a lot of dumpster divers that come through our neighborhood. But, as I had seen a pretty decent shelf sit there for two weeks, I had a bad feeling about our pretty decent but not all that great shelf. And we didn’t want to just leave it there. The landlady gets kind of pissy about stuff like that, even though I think it was her entertainment center that sat out there for like 18 days. And she was sneaky about it too; she put it out right before she went away so no one could complain to her about the abandoned furniture.

Anyway, I didn’t get home early enough to take it to Goodwill all week. And I noticed that someone HAD come to look at it. They had put the shelves in place, where I had left them leaning against the frame. And a few nights later, I noticed that some of the trim appeared to be peeling off. That worried me. What would we do with it if Goodwill wouldn’t take it?

Finally, on Sunday, we went out to load it in the car. I tried to pull the shelves out and discovered that someone had glued them in. Weird. We loaded it but when I went drag the shelving unit a little bit higher in the bed of hatch, the top ripped off. Whoops. So we decided to just tear the whole thing apart and chuck it in the dumpster. That was when we discovered that not only had someone glued it, they had also screwed it together at all seams, driven some nails into the edges and generally just made it…stronger.

I guess at that point we could have just thrown our hands up and said “Hey, it’s not ours. Someone else took it and repaired it and put it back. LAST TO TOUCH!” But we felt obligated to break it down and chuck it. Which took considerably longer now that it had been shored up. Thanks furniture fairy. Thanks a lot.

OH OH! Guess what else?! Guess where I went last night!!! JUST GUESS!!


OK, you guessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you have a 'furniture fairy' card? i would also like to request a 'computer gremlin' card...

Anonymous said...

and oh yeah, um, that movie looks like fun for the whole family...

Nanette said...

Weird! (about the furniture)

We drove past the West LA Kwik-E-Mart tonight. They had huge spotlights and a huge line!

Jodi said...

Um, you shouldn't see that movie because it sucks. Sorry. I wanted to love it. I love Danny Boyle, I do, and yeah...big, huge disappointment.

Where are the Kwik-E-Marts? Is the only one on Venice Blvd.? Maybe I can get to it on July the 4th, as I may venture in that direction.

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Too funny and weird...

I guess I have been out of L.A. too long...when did they get Kwik-e-Marts?