Monday, February 04, 2008

Dreamy.

I’ve been having a lot of dreams lately. And it’s not that they have been strange dreams, just that they have stuck in my head. I do dream, but I don’t often remember my dreams, I usually just remember waking from a dream and thinking “Damn, that was one weird…um…thing…in my head…what was that? Oh yeah, it must have been a dream…what was it about again?” Dreams tend not to stick with me. I’ve tried keeping dream journals and all that, I’ve tried to wake myself from a dream so I will remember it but eh, not really that interested in what my subconscious wants to tell me. Why should I listen to it? What has it ever done for me? But these recent dreams have been pretty clear and memorable. And not so out of the ordinary that they are freaky, but almost so ordinary that they are freaky.

I’ve documented the nightmare that was my senior prom before, but the other night I had a dream that totally seemed like the B story of my senior prom. It featured people with whom I attended high school, in a prom like setting, wearing prom gear, but it was all about the prom I didn’t go to. I knew these people, I recognized them but none of them were the people at the table full of misery. In fact, they all seemed to be having a reasonably good time, downstairs from the crappy prom I attended. There was an elevator to get to the room that I would end up in but all these people were in some kind of sitting room/bar just sitting around hanging out. Of course, this being a dream and all, there was some sort of impending doom. I got the feeling that it was something of Cloverfield proportions but everyone was pretty mellow about it.

The thing is, I can usually figure out WHY I have a dream about a particular subject. Like, often when I have a dream about someone I haven’t seen in years, I can trace it back to something that has happened in the last week. Some instance that in the back of my mind jostled the memory of this person, or even of an event. But I can’t find the connector this time. No idea why I dreamed of the other part of my prom, the part where people had a decent enough time. Also no idea why my prom dress was navy blue and very lacy.

Then later in the week I had a dream about getting a tattoo on my back. Now I do see tattoos everyday, and I have recently pulled a muscle in my back, so I can kind of see the connection, especially since I was awakened from the dream by a sharp pinching pain that did actually exist. I do not, however know why I got a cupcake tattoo or why I chose to have it done at a bar that actually gave it’s patrons the money to pay for their drinks. But I would like to find this dream bar…oh yes I would.

And now the really weird one…the one that I have already forgotten. There was a strange one this morning that involved a lot of numbers…but it is gone now. I guess this is why I SHOULD keep that dream journal. Actually, a lot of my dreams feature me forgetting numbers, so maybe this wasn’t a new one.

I don’t know what are brains are trying to tell us with our dreams. A lot of people think it’s all about dragging up our subconscious fears and desires. Apparently, I fear proms and navy blue lace and I desire cupcakes and free beer. I am pretty sure I didn’t need a dream to tell me any of that.

Everybody knows that koalas dream of revenge.


BY THE WAY! You can totally buy Vengeful Koala cards in the Paperlotus Etsy Store. You can also buy Valentines! And other awesome stuff...go on, you know you totally want to. OK, fine, you know I totally want you to!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I've been having weird ones lately too. Very vivid. I should start keeping my dream journal again.

By the way, I'm sure you'd be great to work for, but I just can't manage on that wage. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

i think you should totally get a cupcake tattoo. i have been thinking about getting a tattoo again. but not of a cupcake. but then there's that whole aversion to pain thing.