Friday, November 03, 2006

Day of the Wed


Oops. I totally meant to post this picture on the first but flaked. No big surprise there.

This is actually the topper from our wedding cake. But it is also a day of the dead figurine. We saw it just before we got married while shopping on Olvera Street and thought it was fitting. We both have a fondness for horror, and in particular, I have a fondness for skulls and although we don’t have any sort of Mexican background, we felt that it represented our new lives in Los Angeles and the culture of our new city. It was, to us, a perfect cake topper.

It wasn’t until years later that I found out that my mother was none too pleased with it. To her credit, she never said a word and it only came up in passing much, much later.

We still love our little skeletons and they sit in a place of honor in our living room.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a witchy mind reader. While watching season two of BG tonight I was online. Looking for cake toppers. And because we are getting married on may 5th, or Cinco de Mayo, I suggested a Day of the Dead topper to Eric. I was just kidding though, I think I am going to make ours out of pottery. But still you are a witchy mind reader.

Anonymous said...

I too have always had a fondness for skulls (my Skull Skates t-shirt was my favorite in high school - www.skullskates.com), and love Day of the Dead things. Sadly I don't really have a collection but would love to pick up a few pices someday. If I had had a traditional wedding cake, I definitely would have used something like this!

Jodi said...

I think I was with you when you bought this, yes? No? I wish I could have been at your wedding, but we had that other one, also on the East Coast, so close to the time.

Anonymous said...

oh what a great topper! I love it :-)

Jen said...

OMG, I just now saw this! When we were planning our wedding two years ago, I so wanted this kind of cake topper, but my mother would not let me! It's so freaking adorable!