Friday, October 26, 2007

Historical.

I read an article about how many Brits are up in arms over the “history” in the Showtime series “The Tudors.” I watched the first season. I enjoyed it. At some point I realized that the history was wonky. I checked, noticed that the television show was not accurate or factual (Imagine that!) and thought. “Oh, well…it’s not like it’s a documentary.” I went back to enjoying the show. Does everything that involves historical figures need to be factual? Can there be no historical fiction? Does it really matter that Henry the VIII was a red-head and that Jonathan Rhys Meyers is not? He's still pretty. And he's a reasonably good actor. Silly people. It’s television. You can’t believe everything it tells you!

And speaking of Brits and history and historical fiction…I saw Michael Sheen in the grocery store the other day. He looked a little bewildered by the choices for lunch. As was I. There seemed to be lots of food but very little to eat. I contemplated mentioning to him that I was very fond of several of his movies (Dirty Filthy Love, Bright Young Things) but since I haven’t yet seen the movie he has become most famous for (he plays Tony Blair in The Queen) I was hesitant. And I don’t talk to people anyway, why would I talk to him? I should have told him not to get that butternut squash soup though. It wasn’t good.

That particular grocery store has proven to be excellent for celebrity sightings. So far it’s been Michael Sheen, Ken Wantanabe, Aaron Eckhardt, Jon Heder, Miss California and Catherine Oxenberg and Casper Van Dien (together). I don’t go goofy when I see actors out and about, but I am always interested to see if someone is, say, taller or shorter than I thought (Michael Sheen is taller, Catherine Oxenberg is shorter), more or less unusual looking (Jon Heder is really very cute when he’s not Napoleon Dynamite), more or less handsome (Ken Wantanabe is very handsome, Aaron Eckhardt is more rugged, poor Michael Sheen just looked tired (but still as cute as a shiny button!). It’s just interesting to me I guess. Do you ever see any one of note out and about? Did they surprise you? Who was the best sighting you ever had? I still think Evander Holyfield is still my favorite...or maybe Carrie Fisher…but Michael Sheen is pretty good. He was the werewolf king, after all.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Well, you know I could go on and on for this one. And I do sometimes get silly and dorky, depending on who it is. I won't mention ones that I've known I would see at a Q&A or Comic-Con or something. A few of note: Almost ran over Tom Hulce's dog. Gave Garrett Morris his ATM card back when he left it in the machine. Bob Hope, a year or so before he died. Ron Perlman and Alan Cumming [not together](mentioning those for your benefit), Eddie Steeples (I literally bumped into him), Parker Stevenson looking at puppies with his kids, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jason Priestly and Dave Foley (seen at nearly every Barenaked Ladies show I've been to. I've met both of them too). Like I said, could go on and on. The most fun recent ones were actually sightings that ended up in conversations when, on separate occasions, I met Jemaine Clement and Kristen Schaal from Flight of the Conchords. I got really dorky there...fangirl-like. Eek.

Sorry you asked, aren't you? Or just that I chose this once to answer. Ha!

Anonymous said...

does a moroccan dinner with george lucas count?

Janet said...

the only famous person I ever saw in a run of the mill place was Ric Ocasek of the Cars at a Mall. Dang is he tall and skinny!

Ken Wantanabe...YUM!

Brenda Griffith said...

Stood in the chairlift line behind Robert Redford and his daughter at Sundance. Sat a couple of rows behind Dustin Hoffman and his family at preview night for Guys and Dolls on Broadway. Nothing for the last 15 years years though...