Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Food, Glorious Food!

There was a lot of cooking going on in my apartment over the weekend. And it was all good!

The vegan muffin for the week is mocha chocolate and it is the best so far. Jason even asked me if they were actually vegan because they don’t taste like they are. But they are.

Let’s see, there was also a very nice Easter dinner. We had butterflied leg of lamb stuffed with garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, olives, anchovies and lemon zest. It was very nice and before you start saying “Oh ew! Olives and anchovies”…you wouldn’t even know they were in there. It mostly just added some salt to the mix. But that portion of the meal was decidedly un-vegan. There was also steamed asparagus, boiled new potatoes with olive oil, fresh challah bread, deviled eggs and for dessert, cupcakes!

The cupcakes and their icing were actually from boxes. I picked them up at Trader Joe’s and wanted to give them a try. I am generally not a box mix kind of girl. I have no real problem with mixes but since I can cook and I do like to cook, it’s just as easy for me to make some things from scratch. That said, my favorite kind of cupcake is still dark chocolate from a box with white icing from a can. Anyway, if you don’t like to cook or want to keep some box mixes on hand for cupcake emergencies, I highly recommend this vanilla cake mix from Trader Joe’s. I think it’s very good and I like that you can see actual specks of vanilla bean in the mix. At least…I HOPE that was vanilla bean. The Decadent Chocolate frosting was not to my tastes, but I am not much of an icing person. It did taste less chemical-ly than most ready made frostings though, so if you don’t like that straight out of the can taste, you might want to give it a try. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you…well…call me, I’ll send you some (don’t call, I won’t send it. I’m just being nice).

1 comment:

Chris said...

I love Trader Joe's. Everytime I go to D.C., I wind up having to pick up stuff for people and pack it back to Huntsville with me.

I like to cook, but I don't bake much (if any).