Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ten.


A while ago Snarkydork posted some of her “Top Ten Most Excellent Blogs (as of today)” and lo and behold, there I was. Dude, it’s an honor, since this barely qualifies as a blog. Now, part of being recognized is recognizing in turn. Since many of my favorite blogs have already been recognized, I didn’t name them here, so please don’t be offended if you don’t see yourself listed, it only means that you’ve been listed elsewhere. So, without further ado, ten more excellent blogs and why I love them:

Glass Incarnate
I think Brenda found me first but then I found her and it all worked out somehow. Brenda blogs about glass, something I know nothing about (save what I’ve learned from her) and in fact, it’s something that I never had much interest in, but you know what? She makes it interesting and fun. Go figure. I like the little window into an artist’s life that she provides…and she’s a big ol’ geek who reads and watches the same things that I do, so that’s cool too. Brenda is pretty freakin’ awesome.

Life of Donovan
Donovan posts sporatically but can you blame him? He’s like three years old. But what a three year old! We were best friends when he lived in California so I am glad to be able to keep track of him now that he is so very far away. And I gotta be honest with you, even though I know his mama helps him out with his posts, Donovan is one of the funniest, smartest kids I have ever met. I just wish he could post more often but you know a three year old has a pretty busy life…

Bootleg Sketch
I work with this guy and yet I still visit his blog regularly. That should tell you something. Excellent artist and all around nice guy. Well…more or less.

Fond of Snape
Janet and I have something in common that got me to her blog in the first place…a fondness for Professor Snape. For me, it’s all about the Rickman, but Janet certainly makes good points for being fond of fictional characters. We are going to have to throw down over who gets non-fictional cutie LL Cool J though. He’s totally mine.

FlipFlopFlyin
I have been a fan of Craig’s artwork for a long time so I was thrilled when he started blogging. And then I was sad when he stopped. But then he started again, so all is well in the world. Currently he is wandering the earth and taking lots of pictures. I don’t actually KNOW Craig, but you know, I think we might get along…but then again, I could be wrong. Which would make me sad. But…whatever. Lately he’s been doing some podcasts too and I find his voice quite soothing.

Captain Blogger
I will confess, I discovered Captain Blogger when he was a PopCandy reader of the day. I read Pop Candy and I have for a long time, but it’s one of those things that I love to hate. I couldn’t tell you why I clicked on Tim’s link that day but now I stop by his place daily. I like how honest and open he appears. That’s tougher to do than it sounds. He also likes the Jayhawks and I like pretty much anyone who likes the Jayhawks…unless, you know Kim Jong Il is a fan…I might not like him so much.

Cupcake Show
Miss Cupcake herself! SHE DOES NOT BLOG ENOUGH…but when she does, I find it very entertaining. I am particularly fond of her daylong blogs. Come back, Cupcake, I miss you!

Eric Nixon
Hrrmmm….he’s related to CupcakeShow….and he too does not blog enough for my tastes, but I guess some things are worth waiting for. He's also a very interesting poet. Interesting enough that I bought a book of his poetry. And read it at red lights on my drive home. I like how he notes where he was (figuratively and literally) when he wrote a poem. That's a great way to get inside a poet's head. Also, he and the cupcake have the cutest doxies in the world. I keep asking when those dogs are going to come live with me and they keep ignoring me. I don’t know why.

Cakespy
I’ve only recently started reading Cakespy and I don’t know where I have been all this time. Even if you don’t bake, this is one heck of a site. And Jessie makes good art. I bought some. It had a cupcake on it. And a unicorn. God bless you, Cakespy, you know what I love.

Bread, whine and cheez
I started reading felicia’a blog before that header, but man I love that header. Who wouldn’t love a girl who loves Xanadu and wine…and whine. And she makes cupcakes. I love cupcakes. In short, funny girl, funny blog, go see her.

Those are only TEN of the excellent blogs I read. There are many, many more great things out there. I think blogs are a great way to see the world outside of your own comfort zone. I like to read the blogs of people who do things that I would never, or could never do. Sometimes it's a vegan blog, a style of cooking that fascinates me, but a manner of living that I haven't made my own yet. Sometimes it's about making the kind of art that I could never make, or reading the political opinions from an opposing party. Even reading the adventures of someone way more adventurous than I could ever be. In a way, it's a bit of armchair quarterbacking, or maybe a bit of fantasy, but it's a nice way to see the rest of the world while I eat my lunch.

So, what kind of blogs do you read?

8 comments:

Janet said...

awwww, thank you so much for saying my blog is excellent!!! Rock paper scissors for LL? Damn, he's HOT!!!

Vanessa said...

Congrats on the award!

Tim said...

Thanks!

I try not to do these lists, because last time I did this I offended someone by not putting them on the list, and they emailed me all hurt and angry and I wanted to say, "ummm...write better and you would be on the list."

I will say there are blogs where I wish they would write less, and there are blogs where I wish they would write more, and your blog is one where I wish you would write more.

Brenda Griffith said...

Hey! Wow! Excellence! Most Excellent! I better go post... (thanks!).

Cakespy said...

You are the sweetest! A hundred rainbows, unicorns and shooting stars your way! :-) xoxo And thank you for introducing me to some of these other cool sites!

Jodi said...

Wow! I'm a tag! I'm a tag! Awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

what's a tag! what's a tag! lifeofdonovan is honored to have been mentioned. today he said his toy dinosaur had a baby growing in it's tummy and was going to come out of the small hole it had. yikes. when i told him dinosaurs laid eggs, he said this dinosaur couldn't find any eggs to put the baby in so he had to grow him in his tummy. that isn't even the weirdest thing he said today but the only thing i could think of. weird kid!

J.Ho said...

see, i allow long intervals to accumulate before i catch up on my blog, and then i miss you saying something terribly nice about me! i'm a jerk!

you are a dear, however, to mention me.