Thursday, April 26, 2007

Vacate.

I guess I never did say what I did in Wilmington, NC. I know someone, somewhere is on tenterhooks waiting to hear…is it you? No? Oh…ok.

Doesn’t matter, I’m gonna go ahead and say it anyway. I had a really nice time. It’s a good thing to get out of town every once in a while and for me, getting out of L.A. is crucial. I gotta go somewhere else at least once a year or my head will explode. I’m serious. It’s happened. It’s not pretty.

So I really just went to visit my friend Donovan. His mom and dad were there but you know, sometimes the ‘rents are just…well, you know. Donovan and I did some really cool stuff too. We went to an Azelea Festival Street Fair. I got a toe ring but Donovan got himself a Buddha statue. It’s really pretty and I heard him whispering “Buddha, Buddha, Buddha” to it, so I guess it felt right at home. We also read a few books about trains and had a pretty lengthy discussion about which ones were our favorites. I prefer the purple trains and the commuter trains but Donovan made some strong points in favor of Thomas and steam trains in general.

We also had a lengthy discussion about what our names are. I tried to trick him and tell him that MY name was Donovan, but he never fell for it. He’s pretty wily that way.

All in all we had a really good time together. Naturally, Donovan is a busy guy so he couldn’t spend ALL his time with me. Sometimes he had important things to do at school, or the Kids in Play place, or take naps so he could do those important things. So I had to spend some time with his mom and dad too. That was ok. We did some interesting things too. We had fondue, that was really good. And martinis that I don’t think Donovan would really have liked. We went to a hookah bar that wasn’t really his speed either. He’s a pretty straight edge and I don’t know if he would have appreciated the sour apple flavor we smoked (I only tried it, it tasted too much like candy for me…and Donovan is more a veggies kind of guy, not so much on the candy). He might have liked the Goth bellydancers though. They were pretty cool. I guess I had never considered how well Gothy music would go with belly dancing. Turns out it’s a whole big thing, all over the place. Go figure.

Let’s see…anything else. Well, we watched The Departed, but Donvan said he wasn’t into Leo and went to bed. I thought it was pretty good though.

Oh and I visited a store I had been wanting to see for a long time. Even before Doovan moved to NC.

So it was a good trip. I will go back. I hope. If Donvan will let me.

3 comments:

Brenda Griffith said...

I am partial to the pomegranate hookah myself, and the mango comes in a close secnd. Hookah, it's what's for dinner.

Jodi said...

Well, I'd hoped to hear about your trip, but I can't say I was waiting on tenterhooks. (I can say that now, because I looked it up and now know what it means!) So glad you had so much fun.

I don't 'get' the whole hookah craze and would probably have an asthma attack. One of my recent voting locations was in the hookah bar around the corner though! Strange!

Chris said...

I was wondering what your trip involved, but was too shy to ask in case it was secret or embarrassing :-)

Just kidding, but I had a office mate once who would answer questions with unpredictable emotions. Once he spent an hour talking about how he was going to get back with his separated wife. A few weeks later, she called while he was out. When he came back, I said, "Your wife called" and he screamed at me for calling her his "wife". One day he showed up with a huge black eye and I never even asked what happened.

Totally pointless story, but I'm trying to say I don't try to pry anymore...

Sounds like a fun trip!