Thursday, January 04, 2007

Catching up on my correspondence.

Dear Oklahoma,

I know we were only together a short time but I think I need to tell you…I find you enchanting. Your blue skies, your wide open spaces and gently rolling hills…they are…amazing. And I think I may have fallen a little bit in love.

Your people were great to me. Especially Scott, who fixed the low beams with nary a question but I could see in his sweet blue eyes that he thought I was completely crazy.

You, Oklahoma, have stolen my heart. There’s just this one little thing…and maybe it’s nothing but…damn honey, you are cold. And I need a warmer type of love.

But the time we had together was great. I will always remember your chilly embrace fondly. And maybe someday…well…let’s just leave it at that and have our good memories.

Oklahoma, you are more than OK and I will miss you,

Love,
Ren



Dear West Texas,

Look, I have already told you that you are on notice for those rest stops. Sure, sure, they were sparkling clean but really…open to the elements? Bad idea, West Texas, bad idea.

And hey, I love your liberal speed limits but 65 at night? Well, I might as well walk, for heaven’s sake. You really need to rethink your stand on that and then we can talk.

You seem pleasant enough but I am unconvinced that we could ever be happy together. And it’s not me this time, it’s totally you. East Texas…East Texas gets me but you…

Thanks for the effort but I’m sorry, this just isn’t going to work.

Sincerely,
Ren


Dear Virginia,

We used to be so close. I loved you and you loved me and I thought we could be happy together. But now…Virginia, I am disappointed in you.

It wasn’t just the rain, or the fog or the treacherous roads. It wasn’t just the 45 mile an hour speed limit. But all of that together, Virginia, it’s just too much.

I don’t understand what happened to us. I thought we would end up together and that we could live happily, but now I think you just don’t want me around and I guess that’s ok. Now I know.

With deep sadness,
Ren


Dear Arkansas,

I have nothing more to say to you. We’re through.

-Ren

Dear Flagstaff,

Fuck you and your weather. Snow? Really Flagstaff? That just sucked. You owe me.

-Ren

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad OK topped your list! If you don't like the cold...come back in August...
I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the place, myself.

Anonymous said...

Snow rocks!!