Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It rots your brain!

So Chris posted about what he watches on TV and that made me think about what I said I watch on TV and what I am actually watching on TV.

So, I said that on Mondays I watch “How I Met Your Mother,” “Two and a Half Men” and “Medium”. What I have actually been watching…well, those shows, if I feel like it. But more often than not, I’ve been missing them and not really caring. I still like “Medium” quite a lot but it’s on just about the time I want to start getting stuff done for the morning and getting ready for bed, so I don’t think about watching it until it’s too late.

I said that on Tuesdays I would be watching “My Name is Earl,” half of “House” and “Boston Legal.” Well, Earl is now on Thursday, I have no idea when “House” is on, but if I happen across it, I will watch it and I totally gave up on “Boston Legal.” “Veronica Mars” is now on Tuesday and I try to catch it when I can but I am way behind on those and I have kind of lost hope of ever catching up.

On Wednesday James still tapes “Lost” which I don’t care for and he lets me watch “Criminal Minds” on the “big TV”. I am have some issues with “Criminal Minds” (it’s kind of pedantic and overwrought), but I do like the actors and I kind of enjoy the psychology aspect of it.

On Thursday James watches “My Name is Earl” and I usually come in about half-way through. We do watch “The Office” together and I really do think that this show has hit its stride. I didn’t care much for the first few episodes but once it got out of the shadow of the its brilliant British parent, it really has become it’s own show and it consistently makes me laugh and cringe.

We both really liked “Threshold” on Friday but that is gone. I will now confess something that will open me to mockery but I don’t care. I like sit-coms and for a few years I have been watching “Reba,” I used to be able to defend it as an extremely well written show that people ignored because it starred a country singer. Well, I still watch it and I still enjoy it but I think it’s time for it to go. It hasn’t exactly jumped the shark but it’s just not as good as it once was. Oh and I love, love, love “Creature Comforts” on BBC America. Best show I’ve seen in a loonong time.

Lately on Saturday, if we are in, we find ourselves watching PBS. We both like a lot of the “Mystery!” series, especially “Foyle’s War” and “Inspector Lynley” and we recently watched “The Virgin Queen” rather than a dvd. I can pass that stuff off as educational and I don’t feel bad about watching it.

Sunday is still reserved for “King of the Hill” and “The Simpsons” for me. James likes “Desperate Housewives”, which I kind of watch with him but generally do other things at the same time. Lately I have been watching “Grey’s Anatomy,” which I enjoy but don’t obsess over.

I see that BBC America is going to start running the second season of “Black Books” in February along with some interesting looking mini-series, so I am quite sure I will check those out. And I watched an episode of the Anthony Bourdian “No Reservations” show last night so I am wondering if those will start up again soon.

So really, it looks like I watch less than half of the stuff I thought I would be watching. I catch “Scrubs” on occassion and sometimes I watch reruns of “Black Adder” or “Monty Python” but since the end of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” I find that there really is nothing that I feel like I really HAVE to watch. Besides, I am trying to do more reading and more sleeping.

2 comments:

Chris said...

It does rot your brain. I just added up my list and realized that if, by some stroke of luck (or sweeps), every show had a new episode in the same week, that would be 12.5 hours of TV and that is way too much.

I even left off the occasional syndicated shows, the Simpsons, assorted cartoons, Black Adder, movies, etc. Now I'm depressed. At least I can zip through commercials, so a 1 hour show takes about 42 minutes to watch.

Oh well, I'm gonna go watch The Shield ...

Brenda Griffith said...

You just lost all your geek points. :-( I don't know if I can read you anymore. There was not one SciFi show there--not even Battlestar Gallactica on Friday. Ren, Ren, I am ashamed... (and clearly getting caught up on other people's blogs from the number of posts I have put on your today!)