Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wolverine is also less emo than he looks.

my label

So, I have this label maker, which I really have for no reason other than to make a label that says “cat” and stick it on the cat. I have nothing of import to label and I am not organized enough to label the things I do have. Really, it comes down to labels that say things like “book” and “pie.” But I brought it to work the other day for labeling entertainment. It was only a matter of minutes before Chris was sporting a label that read “Candypants” and Ho had one that said “Jason is a dork” which I will admit is not terribly original but is terribly accurate. Lava Bear took a little longer for me to figure out but he ended up with “Less emo than I look” and after a while I was sporting a label that read “I don’t like to be labeled.” Which is true, I don’t. But here is a question for ya…when someone asks you to describe yourself, what words do you use? The first word that pops to mind for me is “nice” which would probably make anyone who knows me laugh. But, due to a missed question on my English Lit GREs many years ago, I can pass it off for the Middle English definition (look it up and laugh at me). It’s a pretty wishy washy description, I know, but when pressed to label myself, I don’t know what to say. I suppose now I can call myself a “Modern, Cool Nerd” but the only word in that description that seems to fit is “Nerd.”

In the past, I think I have been called bitter, grumpy, angry, scary, rebellious, winsome (that’s my favorite, although I won’t deny the others), serious, industrious and dependable. And I don’t doubt for a second that I have sported many labels that I never even knew about (I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT THIS WILL GO DOWN ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD! Heh, do you know what that is from?) but when asked to label myself, the best I can do is “Well, I think I’m a nice person…” Go figure.

Oooh, also, is is a little geeky of me that I saw the new X3 billboard with Wolverine on it and got a little giddy. Seriously, I have tried to take a picture of it twice but from my car with my cell phone, so it hasn’t worked. And I don’t even care about those movies much but Wolverine makes me all swoony…shut up.

13 comments:

Jodi said...

Labels, schmabels. Ugh...I've been called all kinds of things. People have their perceptions, I have my own. I don't agree with some of the "nicer" things I've been told I am. I, for one, know I'm moody, clumsy, dorky, nerdy, smart about some things, ignorant about other things, a procratinator, inattentive a lot of the time, very observant other times, quiet, shy, obsessive, messy, disorganized, anxious, spontaneous, sleepy, and yeah, sometimes, just plain nice. I can be a mean, rude bitch too, but I try not to be.

Oh, and yeah, Wolverine is yummy!

Chris said...

I always think of the Dilbert strip with the ISO 9001 dude who is forced to go around labeling everything ("coffee maker", etc.). The back of his shirt was labeled "Stupid Label Guy".

If I had to go for one word, I guess I'd go with "geeky".

I know your Wolverine attraction is probably based more on Hugh Jackman, but I saw a cool Wolverine costume on a link from the Straight Dope the other day.

ren said...

you know, hugh jackman doesn't hurt but no, it's wolverine i love. he's a badass. chicks dig the bad boys.

Chris said...

Good! I like Wolverine too (but not in that way (not that there's anything wrong with that)).

In fact, that's the reason my son Cameron's middle name is Logan.

Chris said...

That should have been a question on the geek test - have you named your kids after comic book characters.

We have Morgan (Morgan le Fay), her middle name was going to be Avalon, but we wimped out with Elizabeth.

Cameron (Cameron Crowe, James Cameron, Cameron on Ferris Bueller) Logan (Wolverine).

Another friend of ours named his son after his role playing game character and another has a daughter named Amber because he's a Roger Zelazny fan.

Wish you could edit comments...

Jodi said...

Personally, I'm all about Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd care about a comic book character. runsandhides

K. Marie said...

OK, that Wolverine costume link was wicked cool. Cool enough I'm tempted to show my husband ... except that he would try it, and in the process maim and/or slay innocent things like me, or the cat.

Jodi said...

I know of some young twins whose middle names are Luke and Leia. The new baby was going to be named Padme, but the Mom put her foot down.

ren said...

oh, i COULD delete that one for you, chris, if that's what you are after, but i probably WON'T. your kids have nice names, even if they do come from nerdy resources. i happen to have a friend who claimed for many years to want to name her first daughter nyssa after a dr. who character. and i know this kid named "griffin" that's pretty nerdy too. (i only have a cat but she is named audrey after the tough chicks and plants of film-audrey hepburn, audrey meadows and audrey the giant talking plant of "little shop of horrors")

Chris said...

I didn't want to delete it, it was just that I submitted the post, then decided I had more that I wanted to say, so I had to post twice...

Nathan Hamill said...

"Wee dee dee. Wy wove wu Wolverine!"

-Karen "Grumpy" Bates

PS - Have you seen Wolverine's myspace page?
He's such a scenester.

ren said...

YOU'RE such a scenester!

ren said...

and i am NOT grumpy, i just don't like you very much.