Monday, June 12, 2006

Active Culture

This was a very cultured weekend. Friday night I went to an art show. OK, that wasn’t so cultured. But it was a nice change of pace and I got to show a little love for the LAVA BEAR. Actually, it was an interesting venue and and interesting concept but there was too much noise and um…no, I am not paying $3000 for your senior project for your art school. Gotta say, Lava Bear’s art certainly stood out as the most interesting and original of the night.

Saturday I visited the FELT CLUB and took in a little outdoor art and a really, really good tofu brownie. Oh, I was mocked. Yes, I was. But it was a fine, tasty treat and now I need to find out how to make them.

Saturday night involved a little Doctor Who, a little pizza and quite a lot of whiskey. Don’t let other people pour for you, that’s my advice. After re-watching the second episode of season two of Doctor Who (Tooth and Claw) and watching the third episode (School Reunion) for the first time I have to say, I am so impressed with the writing on that show. And now that I have said it, I know I will live to regret it but man is that some fun stuff. If you are a Buffy fan, you may be happy to know that Anthony Stewart Head makes a special appearance in episode three. He is actually a friend to the whole Doctor Who thing, having played roles in the audio dramas previously. I, for one, am always happy to see him in anything. (Also, also, if you are a just plain Doctor Who fan, you may be happy to see some other old friends make an appearance).

Sunday was a trip to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion to see an opera. I am happy that I got to go but…well…Grendel was just not good. There were some strong and lovely performances, some nice costumes and set pieces and a lot of crap besides that. The book was boring and confused, the modern dance pieces were predictable and the music was tedious. But hey, I like an experiment. Still….I think I need a classic next time.

So, busy weekend. Lots o’ culture and one really good tofu brownie.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Dr. Who is considered culture? I only jest, of course.

I'm going to try to post something today that will compel you to leave me a comment! Bwahahahahaha!

(stop clutching that oh.my.god shut up! bauble and thinking about me!)

Felt Club said...

PSST! We posted the recipe for ya! ;)