Sunday, March 26, 2006

Recipe-ish
(it's really more of an idea)

Hey, do me a favor. No, actually, do yourself a favor and make this recipe-ish. Unless you are a vegetarian, then you might not like it as is contains meat. Sorry. Maybe if you are a vegetarian you should just skip this. But if you are not…take the skin off some turkey legs (this is honestly the hardest part of this recipe-ish, it’s all gravy from here…well not really gravy, more like barbecue sauce…but you’ll see…) ok, now chuck those turkey legs in your crock-pot. What? You don’t have a crock-pot? Ok, go get one…then chuck the turkey legs in it. I promise it will totally be worth it. Now, cover those turkey legs in barbecue sauce. I made my own (oooh ladidah!) but it was really easy. I used a large can of tomato sauce and added brown sugar, salt, red pepper, liquid smoke, garlic powder, mustard and soy sauce until I liked the way it tasted (you’d think that someone like me who likes to cook would be more specific but hey, that’s how I roll). Ok, once your legs are covered just put the lid on the crock-pot and let then cook on low for 5-6 hours.

When you take the turkey legs out they will absolutely fall off the bone. Just be careful of the tendons (they will be easy to see amongst the meat. They will be an ivory color).

Really, this was soooooo good and so easy. James and I rarely agree on dinners but this was a mutual hit. If you like barbecue and especially if you like pork barbecue but you want something a little lighter, give it a try. I hope you like it.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Sounds kind of messy. Besides, I've used my crock pot once this year, which may be my limit.

Where does one purchase "turkey legs" by the way?

ren said...

oddly, one can buy "turkey legs" at the grocery store. with the othe food stuffs they sell there. you'd be amazed the kinds of things they sell there!

and it was a little messy but only a little. and very, very good.