Thursday, January 25, 2007

Words.

I like words. I like them a lot. I like to use them, I like to read them and I like to adorn myself and my home with them. Again and again I find myself attracted to things with words on them…other than the obvious I mean. Not just books and remote controls and the back of the cereal box. Things like pillows and paintings and jewelry. I am particularly fond of things that have Shakespeare’s words printed on them. But that’s probably because there are a lot less things printed with lines from John Donne’s poetry.

Anyway, I like words, not a big surprise, but sadly, there are two things that show up over and over again, printed on pillows and sun catchers and rings and bracelets that just drive me…bugnuts. It’s mean of me, I know, petty even. But I hate things printed with the word “dream.” I like the word “dream” just fine…in context. But the word “dream” on it’s own…sounds lazy to me. Why “dream”? Why not “do”? And for that matter, why not “nap”? I would totally buy a ring with the word “nap” engraved on it. I know, I know. It’s good to dream. It’s good to aspire to something more than what you have or are or could even possibly be. But to me, “dream” sounds weak. And I just don’t like it.

I also hate things with the phrase “What would you do if you knew you could not fail?” It’s a tricky question that. It sounds deep but in my mind, we learn by failure. Why bother to only do the things you know you can do? Maybe I am just nitpicky but if I only did things that I knew I couldn’t fail at, I wouldn’t do anything…not that I do all that much now. I’m just sayin’. And it’s kind of one of those monkey paw situations. Like say, what would you do if you knew that you could not fail…well, I’d play the lottery. But playing doesn’t mean you’d win. And you can’t win the lottery just by playing right? Or even, what would you do if you knew you could not fail? Well, I’d fly. Yes, but does that include the landing. Because you could totally not fail to fly but then totally fail to land, right? Be careful people. Be careful.

Today I am wearing one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. It is a bracelet with my favorite line from a favorite poem by a favorite poet. It…it’s not…uplifting. But somedays don’t we all feel like we have been “run down by the drunken taxicabs of Absolute Reality”? I don’t know why there isn’t more stuff printed with the words I like.

Ok, yes I do.

Still, I would buy that set of three inspirational rings engraved with the words, “nap”, “drink whisky”, and “go barefoot.”

2 comments:

Chris said...

I found a great book at the thrift store where I bought the Simpson's grill called "The Superior Person's Book of Words" which I have enjoyed perusing during ante-jentacular and post-prandial reading sessions.

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Persons-Book-Words/dp/087923556X

But I got mine for 50 cents...

Anonymous said...

I think I encountered some of those taxicabs when I worked in NYC...