Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Not a fan.

Wanna upset some people? Tell them you hate Halloween. Wanna upset them more? Have some sort of vaguely “goth” leanings, like a fondness for skulls, or a primarily black wardrobe. Wanna really, really piss them off? Tell them Valentine’s Day is your favorite holiday. Never fails.

Yeah, that’s me. Not a fan of Halloween despite a deep and abiding love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, books about monsters, a dresser full of black t-shirts and one really cool pair of skull and cross bones earrings. And yes, I really do like Valentine’s Day, although to say it is my favorite holiday may be a bit of a stretch. I think Thanksgiving actually wins that prize. And before you get on your “Hallmark Holiday” high horse, let me point out that I do make my own Valentines and um…have you been to Hallmark lately? It’s kind of full of Halloween crap. As is the grocery store. And the drug store. And every other store in town. You don’t want to get into the commercialization conversation on this one.

Halloween has never been my thing. I always liked to dress up, but was never terribly fond of the scary stuff. And the candy, well, how many Necco wafers do you have to eat before you decide that most Halloween candy is yucky. I’m going to say “One”. Yeesh. And the spooky stuff? No way. I hate haunted houses, haunted boats, haunted hayrides and haunted…things. I don’t enjoy being startled and I certainly have no desire to pay for it.

Like I said, this is nothing new with me. I have hated rubber masks since I was a wee lass. And I have always preferred high-end candy. But I participated. Dressed up, walked in the Halloween parade, went trick-or-treating, went to parties and studiously avoided the haunted houses unless I could work in them.

If you come to my apartment, I will give you candy. If you make a nice costume, I will be appropriately awed. But Halloween is really not my thing. Sorry. Call me around Thanksgiving and I’ll happily make you a turkey though. Or stop by in February and see my Valentines.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Who gets pissed off? Like what you like. Whatever. We all know you are far more Strawberry Shortcake than goth anyway.

Brenda Griffith said...

LOL (both at the post and Jodi's comment). Today I have eaten literally NOTHING but Halloween candy. Dave bought it yesterday morning and then we took the Sprout out with friends last night for dinner and trick or treating so we weren't around to pass it out. Just my luck, he got everything we like best. *sigh* Pounds ahoy.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am with you Ren - not a fan of Halloween. I don't feel good about giving sugar to kids, and no one would come to our house anyway if we gave out celery - so we don't even turn the porch light on. And I don't like scary movies so I get really sick of seeing one every time I turn the $%&%$% channel during the month of October.
I have never been a big fan of Thanksgiving either, but the older I get, the more I realize how much we really do have to be thankful for...