Friday, March 21, 2008

Answers.

Ooops, I guess I should get back to the movie post, eh?

2. Selena: You were thinking that you'll never hear another piece of original music ever again. You'll never read a book that hasn't already been written or see a film that hasn't already been shot. (28 Days Later)

Number 2 is from 28 Days Later, a movie that I was terrified to see and have since decided is one of my very favorites…ever. I recently had an argument with someone who insisted that people would not become as savage as the soldiers in only 28 days. And it is very sad to me, but I have to disagree.

4. [Regarding men]
Maggie: You can't trust none of 'em no further than I can kick this lemon pie. (The Women)

Number 4 is from The Women, a true classic, although I can see how Janet might have thought it came from Cold Mountain, it certainly does sound like something Ruby would say. The Women is currently being remade, but before it arrives in theatres, I suggest seeing the original, or even the musical remake, The Opposite Sex, just in case the remake is awful. That way, you will know what a good movie it could have been.

6. Ellen Wagstaff Arden: Child?! Nick is not a child.
Grace Arden: No, he's not that smart. He's only a man. (Move Over, Darling)

Number 6 is from Move over, Darling and I am not surprised that no one guessed it. It’s Doris Day and James Garner and I love it beyond all reason. James Garner=hottt. (This is a remake...but I like this version (See: My Favorite Wife and Something's Gotta Give.))

10. Queenie: I sit in the subway sometimes, on buses, or the movies, and I look at the people next to me and I think..."What would you say if I told you I was a witch?" (Bell Book and Candle)

Number 10 is from Bell, Book and Candle another one that I kind of figured would go unguessed but another good one. Kim Novak and Jimmy Stuart, along with Jack Lemmon. It’s cute and sad and romantic and funny and the kind of movie they just don’t make anymore. If you are looking for something old fashioned but surprisingly modern, it’s a good one.

13. Holly Golightly: You musn't give your heart to a wild thing. The more you do, the stronger they get, until they're strong enough to run into the woods or fly into a tree. And then to a higher tree and then to the sky. (Breakfast at Tiffany’s)

Number 13 is from Breakfast at Tiffany’s and I am shocked that no one caught this. I am very fond of this movie but I will always remember showing it to my cousin, who was horrified by it. She didn’t like that all the characters were basically bad people. But in my opinion, that’s the point of the story. It’s all about being human, and the possibilities of the redemptive quality of love. Except for that part with Mickey Rooney, there’s no excuse for that.

14. Liz Sherman: In the dark I heard your voice, what did you say?
Hellboy: I said, "Hey, you, on the other side - let her go. Because for her I will cross over, and then you'll be sorry!" (Hellboy)

Number 14 is from Hellboy, a movie that I adore. Mostly because I have a huge crush on Hellboy. Not Ron Perlman…HELLBOY.

I also realized that the list was supposed to be 15 movie quotes, but someone I deleted one. So here:

Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.


If you know me at all, you know this quote. And you’ve probably heard me yell it in the mall more than once.

And finally, there is Easter in my house. There will be a nice Easter dinner that involves many…things. And there will be challah, which is weird, because it’s a traditionally Jewish and Easter is…not traditionally Jewish. And this time of year is close to Passover, which is the time that yeast is not used to leaven bread, so it’s kind of doubly weird. But…I like it. So there. Also, chocolate soufflĂ©, hot cross buns and more lemon cupcakes (for a friend, I swear!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move Over Darling is one of my favorite movies too. But I love Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies the best.

Anonymous said...

i just wish we were having easter together. maybe i will scratch my cornea jut for the memories. and then try to use a syringe to inject flavor into a cheap ham. mmmmmmmm. haaaammmmm.

Jodi said...

Blogger ate my comment!

Mallrats!!!

I haven't even heard of some of those movies, but then you are more cultured and smarter. I should stop reading blogs and playing video games and read a book or watch an old movie, eh?

Happy Easter. I sort of forgot you celebrate. I hope it is wonderful for you. I'm excited because I thought it had passed, but now know I still have a chance for Peeps and Cadbury Creme Eggs!!!

city said...

Mallrats is one of my all time favourite movies and I have been known to yell that out in malls too!

hope you have a lovely Easter :-)

Joanne said...

I <3 Mallrats! It is awesome.